Sunday, October 02, 2005

Darwin 1 New Orleans 0

We live in weird times………….. I don’t know who said that first but I won’t take credit for it. Bob Dylan sang a song about the times and how they are a changin’. And I think that Dylan was right in the 60’s when he sang the song on the street corners, and it still holds true today.
I am confused about a certain number of things that seem to dominate the headlines on most major media outlets. Hurricane Katrina came and went this summer and left in her wake, a death toll that rivals most wars. They say that smoking is the number one cause of avoidable death in America, with obesity finishing in a close second. I think that Darwin is the big winner here, the crowd got a little more thinned out last month, and to me it makes no sense.

I grew up in west Texas, and one of the lines from my childhood that remains with me still today is “If you don’t like the weather, just wait ten minutes, it’ll change” We were in a constant state of confusion as far as the weather is concerned. I remember snow storms in early May. I remember playing basketball (shirts and skins) on Christmas day. The summer sky can be an ominous mother fucker. A pleasant day can turn fast into one filled with a deadly force and it all just depends on the high and low pressure systems that just happen to be cruising high above the West Texas landscape.
Growing up in Muleshoe I knew that if I ever heard the tornado siren, I needed to be somewhere else and fast. Even as a child I knew this. It is Holmes would refer to as Elementary.
The people in Louisiana knew for days that a storm was heading there way, they made the conscious decision to stay. I know that some critics will say that some had no way out. And to that I say. “you live in a town that on one side is the Gulf of Mexico, on the other is Lake Pontchartrain. ” water sooner or later is going to become a factor don’t you think. 11,000 people died or 1 in every 109. If a tornado would have struck Muleshoe with that kind of force, (by these numbers) 45 people would have died. Let me tell you right now. 45 people will never die together in West Texas. I would state my reputation on it.

No comments: